Monday, March 21, 2011

My first Poem



Well, I have a blog, as you can tell. 

For my ceremonial first post I have decided to share my first grand poem with you.  What kind of Poem? 
You know those ones where emotion and deep intellect just ooze from the lines and you feel so sophisticated and enlightened by reading? Yeah, this is not like those.  In fact, I am not the biggest fan that style.  I like the poetry like that of my favorite author: Dr. Seuss.  His simple and fancy free style just brings me joy, as now just as much as I was a child.  In fact, the first book I read in my life was Hop on Pop.  What a classic...

One of the things that I enjoy doing on my job is writing poetry in my head while I am driving.  I will explain my job later...

I expect that I shall post several poems on this blog as a creative outlet, so LOOK OUT!  

With out further ado, here is Bazoo... 




BaZoo!

a poem by Nathaniel Allen



There once was a town with no name, that was noble and true

Till one afternoon came a man, a man named BaZoo

"Now who was this BaZoo?" this inquiry asks you?

He was a wonderer, a bard, who played the kazoo!



He came to the town with good intentions, you see

Just to play his kazoo and sing merrily

But this instrument of hum was not all he carried

But a very large bag of ripe Queen Anne cherries



BaZoo was a fruit-man, took some where ever he go

Fruit was his favorite thing, but little did he know

Up in the mountains of this rocky top town

Fruit was undiscovered and not to be found



BaZoo'd never been there, on this bright sunny day

But he was off to the town square and started to play

A jolly old tune for the entire town to enjoy

And every family was there, every man, woman, and boy



So the Rocky top village heard for hours on end

The ballads of BaZoo, their new kazoo playing friend

And just as the very last hymn was to be hummed

Into the scene popped a cherry, and you'll never guess where from:



Out of BaZoo's pocket and onto the ground

In front of the families, in front of the town



Then there was just a moment of silence, of wonder and awe

The town just looked, they starred, and they saw

The fruitiest red thing they ever did see

 And they gawked at the Cherry with excitement and glee



But the moment of silence and still didn't last for the town,

For every last man, child, and grandma had dived on the ground

They pushed and they foughted and prodded and prudded

But this shiny last cherry, to the town, it had alluded



"I found it!"

 "Its mine!"

 Did each citizen confess

As each searched very frantic in the tangled up mess



When each person was caught, and could not move-around

BaZoo lifted his foot and stamped on the ground

With shock and a gasp, the town looked under his boot

And there, smashed to pieces, was the once shiny red fruit



Enraged, no longer caught, the town knew what to do

They grabbed him and hurt him and broke his kazoo

Exiled from there, BaZoo held his head in shame

Never to return to the town with no name



Months later, feeling betrayed the town never did see

Where the smashed fruit once was now grew a great tree

Not just any tree grew in that very furrow

But the biggest Queen Anne cherry tree that every did grow!



Realizing what they'd done, the town filled with guilt and with shame

But everyone wanted to make it right, everyone in the town with no name

So this once cherry-less town knew just what to do

In memory and in honor they named their town BaZoo!

2 comments: