Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sasquatch!

Sasquatch


     Anyone who knows me very well, or who has at least been around me for more than 10 minutes knows that I say this word often: Sasquatch.  
Why? Who is that? I have even been asked before, "whats bigfoot have to do with this?"  Let me share some tales with you one who are mutual woodland friend is and how I began using his name in my everyday speech...


Take Caution


Who wouldn't brake? Haters, that's who...


First of all what is that word? Well, the name is actually an Anglicanized version from the Salishan word: Sésquac  
The Salishan language was mainly created by the Flathead indians who could be found from northern California to midway up in America's hat (Canada).  The Flat head Indians were know for their fabulous pancakes... 
Just kidding, they were known for their flat heads, lol. 


The Flathead Sésquac Council of 1852

  The word Sésquac literally means "wild man." However, these feather heads (I can say that because I am 1/64th Chickasaw) used this name for the giant ape man who lived in the woods near them.  Seriously, they used this name before any of the "pictures" or home movies of Bigfoot came about.  They knew of Sasquatch before America was named. 

Sasquatch family reunion of 1889. Uncle Greg has horns.

So how did Sasquatch go from Native American Legend to a house hold name?  One man: Roger Patterson.  This kook Scientist was out one day with his buddy Gimlin when they came upon sasquatch. They just so happened conveniently had their film camera with them:

Spurred on by the reputation for a “Bigfoot” existing around Bluff Creek, Roger Patterson went there in October 1967 and “filmed” one. The Patterson Film has become the cornerstone of all Cryptozoology. It is regarded as real or as the greatest hoax ever perpetrated realer than real. 
You can't question this man! Just look at that stache.

So from there science and weirdos took over.  Hoaxes were everywhere. Legends, sightings, and tourist traps sprouted like weeds, having been documented from Washington to Florida and everywhere in-between.  

The greatest advancement in the Sasquatch legend since the Patterson-Gimlin film came when Universal Pictures released their documentary of a Critoid (mythical Creature) living with a family. Its called Harry and the Henderson's. 

Teaching Harry to "sit"

It won the Oscar for best Make-up. 

Seriously though, if you haven't seen this movie its the greatest.  LOVE it.  
Regardless of the great film that it is, it has nothing to do with my Jargon infusion of the Salaishan word.  Here is that tale...

Simoni Kigweba

My cool friend Simoni (whom I took to Hawaii my freshman year after winning the price is right... but that is a tale for another blog post...) and I were almost inseparable freshman year of college. We studied together, lived in the same dorm, and eventually rushed the same Frat (BYX, again, another blog post to come).  

Why someone felt the need to create this picture is beyond me...

Well Simoni had several phrases that he used that most people didn't.  Most of these phrases would come BURSTING out when ever we were playing the most popular game of 2006, halo 2.  Simoni would shout things in disbelief and objection through out the intense matches of Xbox battling;  things like, "Bush League!" "Crapsticks!" and of course "Sasquatch!"  So it was only a few short months of listening to this, before I adopted it as my own catch phrase.  There was some objection from others, saying "hey, you can't say that! Thats Simoni's word!", but after a time, it became my word just as much as his. 

Sasquatch likes to mime.

The summer I graduated from college, the word I often spoke (sometimes too much) became truer to me than I ever thought possible when I became a minor league baseball mascot for the North West Arkansas Naturals:  Strike the Sasquatch.  

Strike hitting on my sister...

I served as Strike for the baseball season before I joined staff with the Traveling team.  He was one of the funniest mascots I have ever been able to perform.  His suit was great, and he a "natural" knack for scaring children, lol. 

Contrary to popular belief, he does not eat children.

So, that's about it.  That's why I say the word.  I liked it and I lived it. 

What do you believe about Sasquatch?  Total hoax or tot's real?   
What should I post about next?  You tell me. 

2 comments:

  1. I've seen um, In the hills! It's a government conspiracy! The secret realm of the Elves is Real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, they are hacking my font colors!! Get yur guns! @.@ |O¿O|

    ReplyDelete